NBC’s ‘Mercy’ a ‘Nurse Jackie’ ripoff?
Showtime’s “Nurse Jackie” ended its first season Monday night. If you missed it, don’t worry, you can catch it again this fall on NBC under another name, “Mercy.”
I’ve been seeing the TV spots for the new fall show, and after watching the entire season of “Nurse Jackie,” I’m shocked at all the similarities between the two shows. Even if it was one great big coincidence, someone should’ve picked up on them and re-shot some scenes for “Mercy.”
Here’s a breakdown of the similarities (“Nurse Jackie/”Mercy”):
1. Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) is a nurse with an attitude/Nurse Veronica (Taylor Schilling) is a nurse with an attitude.
2. Jackie is married and having an affair/Veronica is married and might have an affair.
3. Merritt Weaver plays a bubbly new nurse named Zoey with kitty cats on her scrubs. She almost kills a man by overdosing him/Michelle Trachtenberg plays a bubbly new nurse named Chloe with teddy bears on her scrubs. She almost kills a man by overdosing him
4. Peter Facnielli plays a young doctor who clearly isn’t ready for life in the E.R./An actor not listed on imdb.com plays a young doctor who clearly isn’t ready for life in the E.R.
5. Haaz Sleiman is a rough-looking guy who plays a gay nurse/Guillermo Diaz is a rough-looking guy who plays a gay nurse
It’s insane! I mean, Zoey and Chloe? Come on. The only difference I can see so far is Veronica doesn’t seem to be addicted to pain killers like Nurse Jackie is. That’s probably too edgy for NBC. Of course “Mercy” hasn’t even premiered yet. Who knows what else will be like “Nurse Jackie.”Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Hollywood Hills on Facebook, Twitter, & Email